Who doesn’t remember the delicious burning explosion of a pizza roll? It's hard to resist the urge to bite into one the moment they come out of the oven — maybe we just like feeling like a fire-breathing dragon? Good times, and who says the good times have to end?
Just because you are avoiding gluten or are vegan by choice or necessity doesn’t mean you can’t have this nostalgic taste of childhood. We say let the good times roll with a very delicious recipe for gluten-free pizza rolls!
How to Make Gluten-Free Pizza Rolls
- 4 gluten-free flour style tortillas
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce (or more for dipping!)
- ½ cup of your favorite cashew mozzarella style shreds
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat
- Arm both sides of the tortilla before spreading out your pizza sauce and cashew shreds.
- Add any additional toppings to spice up your treat, try shredded spinach, black olives, bell peppers, or mushrooms — just be careful not to overstuff!
- Carefully roll up your tortillas and place them seam side down
- Add some olive oil to the pan and place each tortilla with the seam side down, adding a light coating or spray to the top side of your tortillas
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until crispy, then carefully flip with tongs and cook another 3-5 minutes
- Remove and slice into 3 or 4 rolls
- Serve with your leftover pizza sauce or this incredible vegan ranch dressing dipping sauce
Bonus Nostalgic Recipe - Gluten-Free, Vegan Cheese Crackers
Looking for another nostalgic snack to try? Your favorite after-school cheese crackers are ready to make with just a few quick and easy steps. These make great lunch bag stuffers for on the go snacking or when the car ride from work takes just a little too long.
- 3/4 cup of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
- 1 cup of Daiya vegan “cheese”, cheddar flavored
- 3 tbsp of non-dairy butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of ice water
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat 3 tbsp of softened non-dairy butter with 1 cup vegan cheddar flavored cheese in a bowl — Note: Don’t be afraid to smash your cheese to get it to properly mix
- Mix the ¾ cup of gluten-free flour with ½ tsp of xantham gum in a separate bowl. Add half of your mixture to the cheese mixture and stir well. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until there's a nice mixed consistency. Add 1 tbsp of ice water while making sure any left on the sides are mixed in and incorporated
- Place your dough onto a piece of parchment paper and knead until a smooth ball is made. Halve your ball and place one half in the fridge. Roll out your remaining dough between two pieces of parchment paper until approximately 1/8” thick
- With a pastry or pizza cutter, cut out your squares, add a small hole in the center of each cracker, crush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt
- Bake for 17-20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until lightly browned
- Allow to cool and place in an air-tight container. Crackers will stay fresh for a couple of days (if they even last that long!)
You CAN Have It All
As we've said time and time again, there are plenty of creative ways to get the most out of your gluten-free lifestyle. The above recipes show that you don't have to miss out on the "little things" you may be craving, especially if you're new to a gluten-free lifestyle.